Return to Newly Admitted Students

Staying legally in Lithuania

EU citizens

European Union (EU) citizens do not have to obtain a National Visa D or Temporary Residence Permit (TRP). However, they must apply for an EU Residence Certificate within 90 days from the beginning of their studies in Lithuania.  EU Residence Certificate will be valid for the full period of your studies (Eur 10).  Decisions are usually made in 1 month. 

LCC Migration Affairs Office will prepare most of the documents needed for receiving the EU Residence Certificate from the local Migration Office in Klaipeda. However, you need to prepare a few additional documents and bring them with you when you come to LCC in August.

  • A valid international passport (National ID is not sufficient)
  • Online Form (EU citizens) 
  • Confirmation Letter from LCC
  • A document certifying that you have sufficient resources for the next 12 months for living in Lithuania (e.g. parents’ commitment letter to cover living expenses, bank statement about the funds available, a letter from the educational institution about the scholarship). It is important to note that the minimum amount is 176 EUR /month. 
  • Insurance valid in Lithuania or EHIC card 
  • Living place declaration documents from LCC

Non-EU students: Temporary Residence Permit

In order to enter Lithuania and to remain legally while being a student, you have to have a valid document for that. After you are admitted, paid a deposit payment, and received a confirmation letter from LCC International University you can start with the migration process. Students are coming to Lithuania with a Temporary Residence Permit card (TRP card).  Your Admissions Counselor will guide you through the process of obtaining the documents required for legal residence. Please be aware that LCC does not have direct control over the migration procedures, nor can affect the decisions of the Lithuanian Migration Department. It is absolutely MANDATORY that you follow the process in order to get a TRP card.  Once you pay a non-refundable admissions deposit, you can start preparing and applying for your TRP. 

Apply for TRP at the nearest VFS Global Center

In order to apply for a TRP you will need:

  • International Passport (biometric) (validity – minimum for the length of your studies)
  • Mediation letter number from LCC
  • Document about sufficient finances for at least one year (462 EUR / month x 12 months)
  • Health Insurance provided by LCC
  • Criminal record with an apostille or double legalised
  • Parent’s permission to study in Lithuania if you are under 18
  • To fill in an online application form ( step-by-step manual will be provided)
  • Schedule an appointment at the Lithuanian Visa Center
  • Pay 80 EUR application fee and Visa centers fees (differ by country) 

All original documents issued in other languages, have to be officially translated to either English or Lithuanian.

Send your Admissions Counselor a scan of your TRP card once you receive it.

How to find the closest VFS global center?

  1. Open this link: Welcome to VFS Global | For Individuals | Home 
  2. Click on the dropdown menu on the right and select  “Lithuania Temporary Residence Permit.” 
  1. See the list of VFS Global centers where it is possible to apply from on the left dropdown menu.
  2. If you do not see your country or region in the left dropdown menu, find the closest center and contact them regarding submitting an application. 

TRP card:
Allows to study and stay legally in Lithuania
It does not allow employment in the EU
Allows to travel to other SCHENGEN countries without an additional visa
Can be issued for up to 2 years
Allows you to work full-time (40hrs a week)
Extended every 2 years
Health insurance is valid in Lithuania ONLY
80 EUR (general order) or 320 EUR (urgent order – only available in LT) (+ visa centers fees if applying abroad)

Traveling in EU and Schengen area

  • European Union and the Schengen area are not the same. The Schengen Area is an area comprising 26 European states that have officially abolished all passports and all other types of border control at their mutual borders. However, it does not mean you do not need to have documents with you. When traveling, always have your passport with visa D or TRP card with you. Make sure your documents are valid and check the dates to make sure they are still valid when returning to Lithuania. List of Schengen area countries. 
  • TRP card or Visa D allows you JUST to travel outside Lithuania in the Schengen Zone countries for 90 days within a period of 180 days (days are counted backward). If you overstay and you get checked at the border, you can get a fine, your migration documents may be canceled and you even can get a ban for 5 years to apply for any visa to enter the Schengen zone. 
  • Keep your traveling information (tickets, boarding passes) as proof of your traveling dates. Beware some employers will tell you that you can work 4 months and no one is checking, however, this is the risk you assume yourself if you decide to violate the law. Use this calculator of travel days remaining under a Schengen short-stay visa/TRP. The consequences of the violation are a ban to enter all Schengen Zone countries for up to 5 years, a  fine paid to the country of the violation, and also you wouldn‘t be able to complete education at LCC.

Have a question?


Permanent link to this article: