European Union (EU) citizens do not have to obtain a National Visa D or Temporary Residence Permit (TRP). However, they must apply for an EU Residence Confirmation Letter within 90 days from the beginning of their studies in Lithuania. Residence Confirmation Letter will be valid for the full period of your studies ( Eur 8.60). Decisions are usually made in 1 month.
LCC Migration Affairs Office will prepare most of the documents needed for receiving the Residence Confirmation Letter from the local Migration Office in Klaipeda. However, you need to prepare a few additional documents and bring them with you when you come to LCC in August.
- A valid passport or ID card
- Online Form (EU citizens)
- Confirmation Letter from LCC
- A document certifying that you have sufficient resources for the next 12 months for living in Lithuania (e.g. parents’ commitment letter to cover living expenses, bank statement about the funds available, a letter from the educational institution about the scholarship). It is important to note that the minimum amount is 125 Eur /month.
- Insurance valid in Lithuania or EHIC card
- Place of declared residency from LCC
non-EU students: National Visa D
In order to enter Lithuania and to remain legally while being a student, you have to have a valid document for that. After you are admitted, paid a deposit payment, and received a confirmation letter from LCC International University you can start with the migration process. Usually, students are coming with a National Visa D. Your Admissions Counselor will guide you through the process of obtaining the documents required for legal residence. Please be aware that LCC does not have direct control over the migration procedures, nor can affect the decisions of the Lithuanian Migration Department. It is absolutely MANDATORY that you follow the process in order to get a visa D or Temporary Residence Permit (TRP). Once you pay a non-refundable admissions deposit, you can start applying for a visa.
Apply for National Visa D at the nearest Lithuanian Embassy/consulate/visa center
In order to apply for a National Visa D you will need:
- Confirmation letter from LCC (after the deposit is paid)
- Passport (biometric) (valid minimum for the length of your studies)
- 1 color photo (35×45 mm)
- Mediation letter number from LCC (EPIS)
- Document about sufficient means of subsistence and the funds for return (365 € / month x visa validity) + 730 € (visa length can vary from student to student)
- Health Insurance valid in Schengen countries (The sum insured must be at least EUR 30,000)
- Online application form. See the step-by-step manual
- Schedule an appointment at the Embassy
- Pay 120 EUR visa fee (unless a different fee is specified by your local Embassy)
Send your Admissions Counselor a scan of your visa once you receive it.
Before you leave your country (checklist)
As soon as you arrive in Lithuania you will need to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP). You must get some documents before your arrival. Please check the following:
- Have you submitted an online application to the Lithuanian Migration Information System (MIGRIS)? See the step-by-step manual (TRP).
- Have you retrieved criminal record(s) from all countries you lived in for more than 6 months in the last 2 years?
- Do you have a document about sufficient means of subsistence for at least one year (365 € /months x 12 months = 4380 € ). Please note that the document cannot be older than 3 months at the time of your Migration appointment in Klaipeda.
- Is your passport biometric and valid for at least 3 years?
- Do you have 120-240 EUR to pay for the TRP at the time of application?
Difference between National Visa D and TRP
|Allows to study and stay legally in Lithuania||Allows to study and stay legally in Lithuania|
|Does not allow employment in the EU||It does not allow employment in the EU|
|Allows to travel to other SCHENGEN countries without an additional visa||Allows to travel to other SCHENGEN countries without an additional visa|
|Can be issued for up to 12 months||Can be issued for up to 2 years|
|Does not allow to get employed in Lithuania||Allows you 20 hrs employment (40 hrs in summer)|
|Only issued once, no extension||Extended every 2 years|
|Health insurance is valid in the Schengen area||Health insurance is valid in Lithuania ONLY|
|Cost: 120 EUR||120€ (general order) / 240 € (urgent order)|
Non-EU students: After Arrival
- Visit the LCC Migrations Coordinator and bring all your migration documents (original) right away. Office 22a
- Make an appointment for the TRP submission at the Migration Department in Klaipeda. The appointment is in person and it cannot be done ONLINE.
Traveling in EU and Schengen area
- European Union and the Schengen area are not the same. The Schengen Area is an area comprising 26 European states that have officially abolished all passports and all other types of border control at their mutual borders. However, it does not mean you do not need to have documents with you. When traveling, always have your passport with visa D or TRP card with you. Make sure your documents are valid and check the dates to make sure they are still valid when returning to Lithuania. List of Schengen area countries.
- TRP card or Visa D allows you JUST to travel outside Lithuania in the Schengen Zone countries for 90 days within a period of 180 days (days are counted backward). If you overstay and you get checked at the border, you can get a fine, your migration documents may be canceled and you even can get a ban for 5 years to apply for any visa to enter the Schengen zone.
- Keep your traveling information (tickets, boarding passes) as proof of your traveling dates. Beware some employers will tell you that you can work 4 months and no one is checking, however, this is the risk you assume yourself if you decide to violate the law. Use this calculator of travel days remaining under a Schengen short-stay visa/TRP. The consequences of the violation are a ban to enter all Schengen Zone countries for up to 5 years, a fine paid to the country of the violation, and also you wouldn‘t be able to complete education at LCC.
Have a question?