Return to Other Services

Medical assistance & insurance

Health Insurance

Lithuanian students are insured by the state insurance until they graduate (until August 31 of the year you graduate). 

All EU students prior to coming to LCC need to obtain the European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC) is issued free of charge in your home country and allow you to receive medical treatment in another member state for free or at a reduced cost. It only covers healthcare which is normally covered by a statutory health care system in the visited country. More information about the EHIC is available here.

All non-EU students need to obtain health insurance prior to arrival and are insured through LCC under a reliable and cost-effective insurance scheme. The insurance is valid as long as your visa D or Temporary Residence Permit.

  • If you have TRP, your insurance only covers medical expenses in Lithuania.
  • If you have a visa D, your insurance covers medical expenses in Schengen countries.

Your insurance covers medical expenses related to URGENT medical help, defined below:

  • Medical services, when students apply to the medical institution
  • Expenses for necessary medication, fixation and bandage substances, for the immediate transportation within the territory of Lithuania
  • Medical services, when mortifying toothache and for urgent dental help (up to €150)
  • In the case of death or heavy condition, the patient’s insurance covers the expenses related to the transportation to one’s country (repatriation expenses).

Most medications and medical supplies can be purchased at local pharmacies. If you are on prescription medication, it is advisable to bring a supply with you. 

Insurance  covers:

Insurance covers cases when an unexpected sudden health disorder that requires medical treatment (e.g. fever, pain, fractures, injuries, necessary surgery, etc.)  

Insurance does not cover:
  • Oncological diseases, 
  • Pregnancy
  • Chronic diseases
  • Pathological fractures
  • Sexually transmitted diseases
  • Plastic cosmetology surgeries
  • Physiotherapy
  • Intoxication with alcohol, drugs or chemical toxic substances
  • Rehabilitation

Where do I get a copy of my insurance?  

1. A copy of your insurance is sent to your email by Migrations Coordinator 

2.  A copy is also saved on Teams

Your insurance policy document must be kept together with your ID card/passport . If you are on any form of long-term medication or have a health condition, it is important that you inform LCC before your arrival.

Medical Assistance

Depending on the severity of the medical issue, you may need to go to a family doctor or visit hospital’s ER room/call ambulance.

Family doctor:  Your PCP is the first one you should contact when you need care. You may be able to see you the same day for minor illnesses or injuries, but usually it takes a few days before you get an appointment.  

Ambulance or Emergency room. Ambulance is not a doctor’s home visit. It should only be called if condition appears to be life-threatening or if moving the person could cause further harm or injury. Call 112 in emergencies only. Get a taxi to get to the Emergency room in all other cases. 

Where to get medical help?

Family doctor
  • Allergic reaction
  • Asthma attack (minor)
  • Bronchitis
  • Colds, cough, flu, fever
  • Dehydration
  • Dizziness
  • Ear infection
  • Insect bite
  • Migraine
  • Minor burns
  • Minor cuts/lacerations
  • Minor head injury
  • Nausea
  • Pink eye
  • Rash
  • Sore throat
  • Sprain or strain
  • Urinary tract infection
Ambulance or Emergency room
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion
  • Broken bone
  • Fainting
  • High fever (over 40C)
  • Ingestion of obstructive object
  • Major head injury
  • Heart palpitations
  • Chest pain and coughing blood
  • Seizures
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Severe asthma attack
  • Severe burns
  • Severe headache
  • Shock
  • Shortness of breath
  • Unconsciousness
  • Uncontrollable bleeding

 Picture by Vytautas Liaudanskis

At the clinic or hospital

Once in the clinic/hospital, present your ID together insurance to the medical personnel. There are two ways hospitals process your insurance:

  • They will ask you to pay for the service in cash or by card upfront.
  • They will process the insurance directly with the insurance company.

If you pay for the services upfront, get 3 documents before you leave hospital:

  • receipt of payment
  • invoice  (Lith. sąskaita faktūra) 
  • medical record (Lith. medicininis išrašas)

Note: Receipt of payment and the invoice come together; they will be stapled together.

Claim the refund

NOTE: You must save the original copies of the documents (invoice and medical record) for at least a year.In case the insurance company request to provide original documents as a proof, you will have to provide them the documents.

Submit a claim by sending an email to

In the email, you or a proxy will have to indicate this information:

  1. Date of the accident.
  2. Name and Last name of the person who submits the claim:
  3. Address in Lithuania:
  4. Lithuanian telephone number
  5. Email address (make sure you check if it’s correct)
  6. Victim’s name and last name
  7. Medical institution that treated or consulted the victim.
  8. Insurance policy number (TIA No. (can be found at the top right side of the insurance policy)).
  9. Bank account number (if the bank account is not Lithuanian, please add SWIFT code) where the reimbursement should be transferred, or indicate that you would like to receive the reimbursement in cash at the nearest post office (H. Manto g. 90Klaipėda 92295).
  10. Attach picture of 3 documents you received in the hospital (receipt of payment, invoice (Lith. sąskaita faktūra), medical record (Lith. medicininis išrašas)). Ensure they are of good quality and readable.

State hospitals

Different hospitals accept patients on different days of the week. If you are under 18 years old, you will need to go to Klaipėda’s Children’s Hospital on K. Donelaičio g. 7.


Klaipeda University Hospital

Liepojos st. 41. Bus 3, 9 and 15

Tel. (8-46) 396522


Klaipeda Republican (former Red Cross) Hospital
S. Neries st. 3.
Tel. (8-46) 410 695


Klaipeda University Hospital

Liepojos st. 41. Bus 3, 9 and 15

Tel. (8-46) 396522


Klaipeda Seamen’s Hospital
Liepojos st. 45. Bus 3, 9 and 15
Tel. (8-46) 491019


Klaipeda University Hospital

Liepojos st. 41. Bus 3, 9 and 15

Tel. (8-46) 396522


Klaipeda Republican (former Red Cross) Hospital
S. Neries st. 3.
Tel. (8-46) 410 695


Klaipeda University Hospital

Liepojos st. 41. Bus 3, 9 and 15

Tel. (8-46) 396522

Partner Private Clinics

Medicinos centras LORNA

  • Tel. No.: (8 46) 31 07 97
  • Naujoji Uosto st. 12a
  • Hours I-V 8:00-19:00

Note: only doctors that specializes in a specific area.

MEDIKANOS diagnostikos ir gydymo centras

  • Tel. No.: (8 46) 41 05 86
  • S. Daukanto st. 22
  • Hours I-V 9:00-19:00

  Note: only doctors that specializes in a specific area.

Liepų odontologijos klinika (Dentists)


  • Greta Jonikienė Front Desk Manager if you need help with scheduling an appointment and getting a refund from the insurance company.
  • Student Life Vice President Margarita Pavlovic if you would like to borrow some money for upfront medical expenses from the Emergency Care Fund.
  • Reception staff, RD or RA if you need medical assistance or clarification of the procedures. 
  • RD on DUTY +370-643-45644 in emergency situations.
  • Email with any questions related to medical assistance or health insurance.  

Have a question?


Permanent link to this article: